Monday, April 16, 2012

ode to breakfast

        Breakfast is one of the meals I have come to love. Growing up my parents always made special breakfasts on Sunday mornings because my dad would have the day off so we'd get to eat breakfast all together. So my brother and I would get a big brunch with our parents that we normally wouldn't get to have during the week before school. When my parents didn't have to drive me to school any more they'd occasionally go out to a restaurant on a breakfast date, and I'd tag along. Breakfast has a special place in my heart.
        As I started to recover once going gluten-free, and started gaining an appetite I'd wake up starving. My mom would make me eggs and bacon. Or pancakes, (Gluten-free Bisquick makes super delicious pancakes and waffles). We all love the gluten-free pancakes. My family gave up gluten when I had to, because they were worried about cross-contamination. So now our house & kitchen are gluten-free, even though I'm the only one that needs to be. I know, I'm very lucky. 
        Now I make gluten-free breakfast for all of us. I make my own bread which I use for French Toast, other times I use the same bread mix and form them into rolls which makes for great sandwiches. One of my new favorite breakfasts is my Gluten-free, and Dairy-free breakfast sandwich. I guarantee it's better than any fast food breakfast sandwich.


Ingredients:
Fried egg
Almond cheddar cheese alternative
Breakfast meat of your choice; ham, bacon, sausage, fried bologna, pepper turkey*
Gluten-free roll**
Ore-Ida tots make a great easy side of 'hashbrowns'


*You have to be cautious when buying prepared meat, especially sausage, because it may not be gluten-free. I really liked using deli sliced ham or pepper turkey from Hillshire farms. I heat a few thin slices in a sautee pan, for one sandwich. Oscar Meyer Bacon & Bologna are also good options that work for me. The big companies are more likely to say on their websites if the products are safe. Always double check to be safe.


**You can buy gluten-free sandwich rolls, they are usually in the freezer of specialty food stores. I like to use Gluten-free Pantry Favorite Sandwich bread mix, I mix according to package instructions. Let the dough rise for an hour, then make drop biscuits. The box says the oven setting for 375 degrees, then I let the biscuits cook for 15-18 minutes.





1 comment: